Friday, March 14, 2008

What is Linux? and, why YOU should try it!

This excellent article: What’s This “Linux” Thing and Why Should I Try It? at MakeUseOf.com Is about as thorough as it can be on what Linux is. This is one reason that I have not been as active on this blog as I would have been recently. I have become very active in the Ubuntu community. Don't worry though, this blog will remain dedicated to the Windows users and I will keep focused on Windows security. (Here anyway)

You see, I have grown a little tired of Windows. It just doesn't excite me the way it once did. It looks like Vista is a flop, Microsoft wants to end support for XP soon, and I simply disagree with alot of the DRM that they have put in Windows Vista, and the direction that Microsoft has taken the operating system. I have been finding other things to get excited about, and the Linux community, and free open source software has filled the void.

After what I have learned and experienced, I am really starting to wonder if Linux wont start to fill the cracks left behind from Microsoft for alot more people out there too.

I can see how Linux can OVERTAKE the market that Windows has so comfortably held for the past few decades. How will this be accomplished you ask? For several reasons. The first is simple cost. Most Linux operating systems are 100% free. They are now as easy to use as Windows for most users, Linux runs great on older computers, and there are some things you can do on Linux you cant do on Windows or at least not as easily.

The big thing that Linux operating systems have overcome is ease of use, and as the article states, it is more secure than Windows. There are still a few issues that some Linux OS's must overcome for it to be as simple as Windows for ALL users, and that is another reason why I've become active in the Ubuntu Community. I want to do what I can to make it a snap for ALL users. Give the article a read, and give it some thought. I bet that if you give it a try you wont be disappointed!

Ubuntu Linux for Human Beings